- Regularly clean the roof and gutters.
- Maintain an area approximately 30' away from you home that is free of anything that will burn, such as wood piles, dried leaves, newspapers and other brush.
- Connect garden hoses long enough to reach any area of the home and fill garbage cans, tubs, or other large containers with water.
- Review your homeowner's insurance policy and also prepare/update a list of your home's contents.
- Get a copy of Living with Fire - Homeowners Guide (Eastern and Western Nebraska editions) by Nebraska Forest Service.
Fire Weather Preparedness
- Turn on your TV/radio. You'll get the latest weather updates and emergency instructions.
- Know where to go. If you are ordered to evacuate, know the route to take and have plan of where you will go. Check-in with your friends and family.
- Keep your car fueled, in good condition, and stocked with emergency supplies and a change of clothes.