The Nebraska Emergency Management Agency is charged by state stature to reduce the vulnerabilities of the people and communities of Nebraska from the damage, injury and loss of life and property resulting from natural, technological or man-made disasters and emergencies.
We envision safer, less vulnerable communities in Nebraska made possible through effective, collaborative partnerships committed to saving lives and reducing the impact of disasters.
Our mission is to coordinate, support and serve Nebraska through an effective and relevant emergency management agency.
Our Guiding Principles
- All emergencies begin at the local level.
- NEMA collaborates with local, state, tribal and national offices to provide coordinated assistance to Nebraska communities that augment local capabilities when appropriate.
- NEMA activates are grounded in principles of emergency management.
- Emergency management must be comprehensive, progressive, risk-driven, cost-effective and flexible
- Respectful collaborative relationships and professional leadership are integral to quality emergency management
- Emergency management activities must be inclusive and involve the whole community.