Western Nebraska Engine Academy - 2021
The 2021 Western Nebraska Engine Academy is a live fire exercise managed by a Type 3 Incident
Management Team. The Academy operates as close to a Type 3 incident as possible and allows
participant to experience a typical large-scale incident. Live fire takes place in the Wildcat Hills south of
Gering, NE. The area offers various fuel models and terrain that makes it challenging for firefighters.
The main objectives of the exercise is to offer training opportunities to support firefighters, Incident
Managers and Senior Officials in a wildfire setting, to offer opportunities to be evaluate in position
specific roles to continue personal development through a task book and to provide multiple
opportunities to communicate with various resources on a large fire.
• The entire exercise will be managed using the Incident Command System with a Type 3 IMT.
• You may participate during ANY or ALL days of the exercise.
• The exercise will offer various training opportunities and your training day may last 12 hours.
• You MUST register prior to attending the Academy. Registration forms are Due September 1.
• We accept ANY level of firefighters and any equipment with Engines taking priority.
• Red Cards are REQUIRED if you are a trainee or requesting evaluation in any Ops position.
• Nominations for positions on the IMT is limited and will be based on priority.
• You may send any Single Resource position that needs specific training.
o Strike Team, Task Force Leaders, Fallers, Division Supervisors, Etc…
New for 2021
• There is no registration fee. This event is free of charge and will cover meals.
• The exercise will be from Saturday, September 11
th through Monday September 13
th. You can
attend one day or all days.
• Trying to move to an online registration format. Please email if you need a hard copy
• The entire WNEA will operate Saturday through Monday, offering a transition from a Type 3 to a
Type 4 incident on Monday.
• The entire academy will focus on best social distancing practices and will aggressively manage
our exercise with firefighter safety as our top priority.
Please submit this form to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than September 1st, 2021